About a year ago I sew some baby pillows for my colleague when she was expecting her daughter (link to the article). Now that I am the one expecting, she urged me to sew some pillows for my baby as well, as she found them very, very useful. She laid them beside the baby girl to prevent her from turning and from bumping into the side of the crib, then later they were used under the stomach to get her used to lie on her belly and now at the age of one for playing, of course.
So I found myself in the weird situation to read my own blog about how those pillows had to be sewn. Luckily the instruction was quite understandable and even did not lack important pieces of information.
Now that I sew those pillows again I can though provide a cleaner, more understandable instruction:
First I cut out 3 squares of 25 cm each side and 6 circles of 10 cm diametre. To get a nice circle, I had printed out a 10 cm circle onto paper and cut it out, then pinned it to the fabric and cut it out of the fabric.I used cotton fabric, as I still had some beautiful cotton fabric in my sweing box and as it is easy to sew and easy to wash in the washing machine.
So this is what I got after cutting out the pieces (click on the pictures for a bigger picture):
Then I sew velcro stripes onto some of the pieces:
- * two long stripes of the non-sticking part onto two of the three squares. Be careful how you sew on the stripes, if the fabric has a certain pattern (e.g. stripes) and you want all pillows to look the same (or if there is text or sth. else that you want in a certain direction on the pillow).
- * two non-sticking stripes of velcro to two of the circles and
- * two sticking stripes of velcro to two of the circles.
This is what the pieces look like with the velcro:
Then I ironed the sides of the squares around:
And here a picture of which pieces will be sewn together to three separate pillows:
Now comes the sewing part. First I pinned the sides of a square so I got a tube:
And then I carefully pinned my way around to add the end of the pillow (the circle). This was the most trickiest part of the whole process:
and this is after the sewing (with the machine):
It would have left the nicest edges, if I would just have handsewn them, but I am far to lazy for that. So I ended up with quite irregular “homemade” circle-like ends. I tried out different ways how to get a nicer circle. For example I draw a 7 cm circle onto the fabric with a pen that will be washed away in the washing machine; then I cut in the sides of the circles, ironed them down and tried pinning them to the tube, Here still a few pictures of that try, if you want to try it that way:
It all ended with the circles looking the same, which way ever I tried: edgy, homesewn-looking, uneven. Well, mommy at least made them just you you, my darling.
In the end anyways I was done with sewing on all circles and now it was a very short way to go anymore. I pinned the pillow together, leaving only a small hole for the filling process, stuffing the filling nicely every time to each side, so that the pillow would be nicely and evenly filled.I did not stuff them too full/stiff, because I thought they might dry better, if there is air in between the filling parts. For the filling I used the inside of an “old” pillow, as I knew this would be washable.
Then the last step: sewing the pillows closed over the filling. This time I closed this seam by hand. Made a much nicer seam than with the machine, what I made last time (because of the time pressure).
And here they are now. The pillows are done.
I added all my pictures from this project to Flickr, Set: Baby pillows (ape tube pillows).